Mounting local drives

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Jul 22 08:59:09 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> I see that Ray has this sorted out, but thought the above
> interesting.

Indeed.

> I have (in 9.04):
>
> $ cat /etc/mtab
> /dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2 fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=512
> 0 0 ....
>
> My fstab for that device:
> UUID=<snipped> /media/sdb2 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
>
> Note: sdb2 is my WinXP drive.
>
> I wonder if it's left over from hardy (this system has been upgraded
> edgy - jaunty):
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/ntfs-3g.8.html
> allow_other is there just below show_sys_files
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/man8/ntfs-3g.8.html
> allow_other is missing.
>
> I'll have to throw in my dual clean install jaunty drives in the test
> machine to see if the results are the same.

I don't think that is necessary. My system is Jaunty, so that is why I
didn't see that option in the man page. Due to your mtab line above I
became curious because mine didn't have the fuseblk file system but
ntfs. I found out that I didn't have ntfs-3g installed, so I installed
it and from then on my mtab line showed the fuseblk file system instead
of ntfs. Furthermore I could use the allow_other mount option even if I
set the file system to ntfs in /etc/fstab if ntfs-3g is installed.

Nils