Mounting local drives

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:39:00 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble setting up fstab to mount my local drives. Here is
> what I have bee trying so far.
>
> # /dev/sda1
> UJID=AE3C279C3C275E99 /media/disk ntfs
> ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
> # /dev/sda5
> UUID=01FDB079EDF37490 /media/Music ntfs
> rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
> # /dev/sda8
> UUID=4BC92DF718C72864 /media/Personal ntfs
> rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
> #/dev/sda9
> UUID=A0A8FF96A8FF6964 /media/Programs ntfs
> ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
> # /dev/sda7
> UUID=AA84ABA1463F85C9 /media/Downloads ntfs
> rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
>
> This results in a failed local file system mount, and an inability on my
> part to mount them with Nautilus, because it says I do not have the
> privileges to mount them.
>
> Can someone please enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks, Ray Parrish

	Hi Ray, I always try to mount them manually first. It takes the form
like this:

	$ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda7 /mnt

if you get no error messages then look at /mnt and see if your Windows
is there. If you get an error message, and I think you might, it should
lead you to a fix. When it works try the fix in /etc/fstab.

73 Karl

- --

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User