Mounting local drives

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 21 22:10:26 UTC 2009

On 07/21/2009 06:48 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> > Where do you get the "allow_other" option from? I can't find it in
>> > the man pages for mount or mount.ntfs as valid mount options. And
>> > if I try to use it on my system I get an error, too.
>>
>> I got it from /etc/mtab after mounting the drives with Nautilus. I
>> just copied what was in there, then added the UUIDs from the
>> properties dialog of each mounted drive. [partitions actually]
>
> Interesting - in my mtab entry for the ntfs partition there is no such
> option mentioned. Which Ubuntu version are you using? Anyway, please try
> to mount your ntfs partitions without that option.

I see that Ray has this sorted out, but thought the above interesting.

I have (in 9.04):

$ cat /etc/mtab
/dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2 fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=512 0 0

My fstab for that device:
UUID=<snipped> /media/sdb2 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

Note: sdb2 is my WinXP drive.

I wonder if it's left over from hardy (this system has been upgraded
edgy - jaunty):

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/ntfs-3g.8.html
allow_other is there just below show_sys_files

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/man8/ntfs-3g.8.html
allow_other is missing.

I'll have to throw in my dual clean install jaunty drives in the test
machine to see if the results are the same.