does anyone experience hardware overheat in ubuntu

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 03:14:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-19 at 22:25 -0400, scott wrote:

My guess is that it's either the restricted nvidia driver, or the nVidia
card itself...I've got a little experiment running on the subject:

I have 2 laptops, both running ubuntu 9.04. One is a Dell, one is a
Toshiba. The Dell has the better hardware of the 2 (4G RAM, 2.4GHZ Proc
etc. vs 2G RAM, 2.2GHZ Proc) but the Toshiba has a nVidia graphics card,
whereas the Dell has an Intel chip. Desktop effects on both are enabled.
The Dell is using open drivers, and the Toshiba is using proprietary
nVidia driver

The Dell runs between 35-45C depending on the workload, the highest i've
ever seen being 50C. The Toshiba runs between 55-75C, no matter the
workload. It's usually cooler when it boots, but once it starts, it will
ramp up to much higher temperatures, occasionally hitting 90C.

I can't run the laptop with the nVidia chip on the open drivers, as they
don't work right, and my display is perpetually stuck in 640x480 mode,
so I'm forced to use the proprietary ones.

Additionally, the Battery life on the Dell is much longer than the
toshiba one's (2-3 hours w/o tweaking, compared to just over 1 1/2 hours
w/ tweaking).

Can you try the vesa drivers on your laptop to see if that has any
effect?
--
Andrew