does anyone experience hardware overheat in ubuntu

thirstyh2o thirstyh2o at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 04:19:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 22:14:30 -0500, Andrew Farris wrote:

> My guess is that it's either the restricted nvidia driver, or the nVidia
> card itself...I've got a little experiment running on the subject:

Then I'd rather say it's a driver, since I do have Nvidia card on my Dell
and the difference between Ubuntu and Lenny as I mentioned is the driver.

Ubuntu runs Nvidia restricted driver when on Lenny I still use open
driver installed by default.

If it is the case, that I would be in trouble, since the default Lenny
driver for my Nvidia seems to be harming for my yes.

This is what I actually meant by saying "I'm not totally happy with Lenny
yet". I'm looking to replace the open driver with the proprietary Nvidia
one and study the issue right now.

> I can't run the laptop with the nVidia chip on the open drivers, as they
> don't work right, and my display is perpetually stuck in 640x480 mode,

I do have a right resolution with open driver.

> Can you try the vesa drivers on your laptop to see if that has any
> effect?

It's my understanding the default open driver installed is Vesa.  It
works fine as I already mentioned except the font rendering is not as
good as with restricted driver under Ubuntu and this bothers my eyes a
lot.