hi there, all!

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Tue Jan 27 15:07:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:51:46 +0500
Haseeb ul Hasan <urhhoney at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am basicallly trying to switch to Ubuntu, mainly because I am a
> little sick of windows :).
> Actually i bought Compaq Presario V6715EN (64 bit platform) which
> came with Vista home edition, I have checked the website and the
> problem i am facing is, i cant find any drivers in the compaq support
> section and its really hard to find 64 bit drivers for ubuntu.
>
> Its a really long drag to find all the manufacturer sites to dig into
> them to find all the drivers for 64 bit platform of ubuntu. Does any
> one out there already have installed it on a 64 bit platform or
> especially on this laptop model. I hope it might auto load all the
> drivers (maybe have all ofém in its database).
>
> I really would appreciate if anyone knows a site which is a good
> driver search engine for ubuntu
>
> Cheers
> regards,
> MH

My simple answer is yes, I am using 64-bits. I have not installed any
drivers from outside Ubuntu repositories ( that is the official file
areas ). This is a home-built system using a PCChips motherboard with
an Athlon 64 cpu. I have 3 GB memory installed.

There are both 32-bit and 64-bit LiveCD's which allow you to try first,
then install. Perhaps try both and then decide?

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz