Is it possible to manually activate an eth0 connection?

jack192 jack192.168 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:56:43 UTC 2009

> > ==Have you tried using acpi=off on your kernel line in your
> > /boot/grub/menu.lst, as suggested?
> > What happened?
> This is still a white area on my map :-).... I did manage to find and
> to open that file via the terminal command "kdesudo
> /boot/grub/menu.lst".
> However, it is not clear to me where exactly in that file I should put
> the instruction 'acpi=off'. Please, explain!
You should add this at the end of the options which are passed to the
kernel at the boot proccess. Your kernels are after the "## ## End
Default Options ##" line, after that, were configured all items wich
grub displays on startup, and the options wich is going to be passed to
the kernel when the kernel boot-up. Probably, the kernel that you uses
is the first, so add that option at the end of the kernel line of the
first element, like that:

title		Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-23-generic
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-generic
root=UUID=c7b4265d-4c68-4353-9371-e1dfde56289e ro ACPI=OFF
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-23-generic

Note that ACPI=OFF must be in lowercase, and your line can be very
differnt. For editing that file, you can use kate (for example: kdesudo
kate /boot/grub/menu.lst)