ubuntu8.11

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Wed Jan 14 17:59:52 UTC 2009

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
[snip]
> Note that if you want to change between Windows and Ubuntu without
> rebooting, this is not dual-booting, but rather virtualization.
> VirtualBox is one virtualization program.  You can use VirtualBox to run
> Windows "inside" Ubuntu, or Ubuntu inside Windows.
>
> Either way, you'll get worse performance than dual-booting (though
> better flexibility).

On modern hardware with adequate resources, e.g. sufficient RAM, I've
found the performance difference negligible but I'm a developer, not a
gamer. Some modern Intel and AMD CPUs have hardware virtualization
extensions <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualization_Technology>,
called Intel-VT and AMD-V respectively, that things like kvm
<http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki> can use. I have no idea if VirtualBox
takes advantage of VT or AMD-V. I've used kvm, Xen, OpenVZ, and VMWare
but I haven't touched VirtualBox yet. The HOWTO I posted previously was
based on recent research I had done into using an existing physical
installation of Windows in a virtual environment. Searching for
"virtualbox kvm" in Google yielded
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=542643>.
--
Regards,