Which ones are the viruses?

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Sat Jan 3 09:09:32 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been scanning my Windows drive to get rid of infections I picked up
> while unwisely participating in online surveys which paid me for my
> participation. I recently discovered through the use of a hosts file
> that these survey servers were serving trojans with the surveys.
>
> Now I'm trying to clean things up with calmav from within Ubuntu so the
> viruses aren't running while I'm scanning. Yesterday I ran a scan that
> took 5 hours, but unfortunately had set the options to "show all files"
> which output every file scanned to the output window of the virus
> scanner. When it was done I couldn't scroll through the 80,000 files
> scanned to find the infected ones, except for the one show last which
> was infected with Trojan CMOS Killer. It was in pagefile.sys and I had
> clamav delete it.
[cut]
Why don't you get hold of the Trinity Rescue Disc? It's a free-standing
ISO built on Debian and supports several AV programs, including AVG and
clamav. When run, it updates the AV to current status and I've found it
invaluable to clear up infections in my circle of friends and
acquaintances, those I haven't yet graduated to Linux :-)

Peter HB