Places Menu

Jean Dewald jean.dewald at qipsgroup.be
Sat Feb 14 08:57:12 UTC 2009

On wo, 2009-02-11 at 00:18 +0100, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Jean
>
> Welcome to Ubuntu and Linux!
>
> About one question, I can say something useful.
>

>         2) I use the European date format dd/mm/yy.
>         After a couple of hours searching I still didn't find where to
>         select
>         that format?
>

> Look for a (sub)menu: 'system settings' or something similar. Then,
> click at 'date and time settings' - than look for some city near you
> in order to click at the right time zone, than click at 'apply.
> Stay in the 'system settings' menu, but go now to 'regional and
> language'. From there, go to the tab 'time and date'. There you can
> choose the European date format you are looking for. Elsewhere in
> 'regional and language', you can carry out other local adaptations of
> the system - like the Euro currency symbol if you live in a Euro zone
> country.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Sometimes, you need to give in your 'root' password in order to carry
> out such changes. This is usually the same as your system password.
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas,
>

>         Thanks for help
>
>         Jean
>

>         --

> ===============
> Viaconsensus
> Bas G. Roufs M.A.
> Van 't Hoffstraat 1
> NL-3514 VT  Utrecht
> M. +31.6.446.835.10
> T. +31.30.785.20.40
> BasRoufs at gmail.com
> ===============

Hi Bas,

Sorry, but I can't find such a submenu.
The only thing should be the 'Time and Date Setting', but it allows me
only to set the present time, date, and the Time Zone, which is already
set to Europe/Brussels. No more.

I think the absence of such a regional setting is the base of my
problem.
I repeat that I am sure that the designers of Ubuntu never meant users
to work around in the environment file just to adapt locales!
But why does this menu item not appear on my system?

Anyway thnaks for spending YOUR time in trying to solve MY problems!

Jean