About Grub

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 20 14:42:15 UTC 2009

maykel at maykel.es wrote:
> I have installed ubuntu-server 9.10 in my computer but the archivo
> menu.lst not found in /boot/grub/menu.lst. Why?? In debian 5.0 lenny I
> found the archivo menu.lst, why in ubuntu-server 9.10 not found??
>
> I install grub with "apt-get install grub" and then "grub-installer
> "(hd0)" and finally  update-grub and update-initramfs -u but the archivo
> menu.lst not found.
>
> Can I help me please?? Thanks in advanced.

Because Karmic uses grub2 by defauls and has no menu.lst.  It uses
/boot/grub/grub.conf which should not be manually edited as was done
with menu.lst.  Since you are not aware of these changes in Karmic,
you'd be advised to google up on grub2, read the release notes, etc
before trying to modify grub.conf.  The applications that allow you
to modify grub.conf are located in the /etc/grub.d folder. I would not
attempt to modify the files in /etc/grub.d until you know what you are
doing as grub2 is nothing like grub legacy as far as modification goes.
If you tell the list just what you are wanting to do, someone may help
you out.

--
Leonard
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net