Thread hijacking

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Tue Dec 15 16:43:03 UTC 2009

On Monday 14 December 2009 8:58:08 pm thomas wrote:
> Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > As a newcomeer to this list I'm intrigued to know whether the hijacking
> > of threads is commonplace and accepted here. On other lists I know, any
> > such behaviour is stamped on instantly, yet it keeps happening here with
> > impunity.
>
> I was accused of hijacking threads. Then someone told me what hijacking
> treads was and I
> stopped. Maybe people are clueless to hijacking. I am using Thunderbird
> and I would start new
> threads by deleting the content of a posting and then make a new one.

Yes, that would be perhaps the number one definition of hijacking a thread!  A
second would be popping in with a completely different question. Like for
instance in this thread asking what people do with top-posters.  I would then
answer that question by stating that I just add the name of the offender to a
kill file and am never troubled by the top-poster again because the only
place I would ever find that person's postings would be in the trash bin.  I
may even go futher and state that I find top-posting to be a worse offense
than hijacking!  Then someone would pop in with what they do and soon the
thread would no longer be about hijacking but about the problems with
top-posting.  Fun stuff right?   In answer to the OP's question, yes it is
fairly common and no it is not well tolerated.  You instantly lose those
people who could have helped you the most and you are left to wonder why your
post never gets answered.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403