where did my 2nd screen go?

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 19:19:30 UTC 2009

I don't know if this is of any interest or not but

amckay at alan-ubuntu:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ri  nvidia-173-modaliases                 173.14.20-0ubuntu5
              Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-185-kernel-source              185.18.36-0ubuntu9
              NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii  nvidia-185-libvdpau                   185.18.36-0ubuntu9
              Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix
ii  nvidia-185-modaliases                 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
              Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-96-modaliases                  96.43.13-0ubuntu6
              Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-common                         0.2.15.1
              Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii  nvidia-glx-185                        185.18.36-0ubuntu9
              NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii  nvidia-settings                       180.25-0ubuntu1
              Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv

Then when I do dpkg -L on nvidia-glx-185 I see this odd entry :

package diverts others to: /usr/lib/nvidia/libglx.so.xserver-xorg-core

The reason I find it odd is because when I was installing the 190
driver I got a couple of error messages about not being able to find
that file.

Which of the above nvidia packages can I remove with dpkg -r ???

Then install the 190 driver.

Does the 190 driver need any of those?