where did my 2nd screen go?

Werner Schram wrschram at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 21:29:06 UTC 2009

Alan McKay wrote:
> I don't know if this is of any interest or not but
>
> amckay at alan-ubuntu:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
> ri  nvidia-173-modaliases                 173.14.20-0ubuntu5
>               Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
> ii  nvidia-185-kernel-source              185.18.36-0ubuntu9
>               NVIDIA binary kernel module source
> ii  nvidia-185-libvdpau                   185.18.36-0ubuntu9
>               Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix
> ii  nvidia-185-modaliases                 185.18.36-0ubuntu9
>               Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
> ii  nvidia-96-modaliases                  96.43.13-0ubuntu6
>               Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
> ii  nvidia-common                         0.2.15.1
>               Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
> ii  nvidia-glx-185                        185.18.36-0ubuntu9
>               NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
> ii  nvidia-settings                       180.25-0ubuntu1
>               Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv
>
> Then when I do dpkg -L on nvidia-glx-185 I see this odd entry :
>
> package diverts others to: /usr/lib/nvidia/libglx.so.xserver-xorg-core
>
> The reason I find it odd is because when I was installing the 190
> driver I got a couple of error messages about not being able to find
> that file.
>
> Which of the above nvidia packages can I remove with dpkg -r ???

nvidia-common is provided by ubuntu, it advises which nvidia driver you
can use (nv, nouveau or the nvidia binary drivers). You can remove it or
keep it, I don't think it will make much differentce. You can remove the
other ones in favor of the nvidia-binary driver or the envyng provided
driver. Although I am not entirely sure about the libvdpau one, but that
one is only for hardware accelerated video so you can choose to
reinstall that one later if things don't work.

Werner