Thunderbird e-mail problem

Xandros Pilosa folivora.pilosa at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 08:11:45 UTC 2009

GaryT pravi:
--snip--
> Prior to reformatting the disk and reinstalling Ubuntu, the backup was a
> straight copy to a USB mass storage device.
>
> Like the backup, the "restore" was a straight copy into the
> .mozilla-thunderbird MAIL folder.

So, if I undersand correctly, you made backup just of
~/.mozilla-thunderbird/xxxold.default/Mail directory, not the entire
~/mozilla-thunderbird or xxxold.default (this is meant to represent your
old profile dir.).
Did you create your mail accounts from scratch, when you reinstalled
Ubuntu and/or tb?

If so:

*first of all, Mail dir. has to be in your
~/mozilla-thunderbird/xxxnew.default (new profile folder) not in
~/mozilla-thunderbird in order to tb see your mbox files by default.

*You can actualy point tb to any other location of your Mail dir. by
manualy editing prefs.js in jour profile folder or tb menu>Edit>Account
settings>Local folders.

*You can use some suggestions from:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders

> Previously T-Bird saw the files and adopted them - not this version.
> This version is quite different - new features - new menu items etc.
> and I'm suspecting, new mail file structures.
> GT

Not here (tb ver. 2.0.0.23), no new futures (I wish they were), no new
mail structure. In fact I am using same mbox files from Dapper days.

Regards