Problem with apt on a virtual machine

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Wed Aug 12 20:57:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 13:06 -0700, Tom Masterson wrote:
> I have a virtual machine running Jaunty and supposed to be using bridged
> networking (not sure how to prove it is or isn't).  If I do apt-get
> install <package> (doesn't matter what package).  It goes through to the
> point where it asks if I wish to continue with the install and if I answer
> yes it comes back almost instantly with "http died unexpectedly".  If I
> look at dmesg I see the following:
> http[1792]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000 sp bf8c0cdc error 14 in
> http[8048000+d000]
> no vm86_info: BAD
>
> Can anyone help with this one please and tell me where to look?
>
> Thanks
> Tom

Tom,
  First, which virtual solution are you using?  VirtualBox, VMware, or
other?

Assuming Vbox, then *before* powering on the virtual machine, click
"Network" under the "Details" tab. What does it say?

i.e. Mine is:

Network
	Adapter 1: PCnet-FAST III (host interface, eth0)
	Adapter 2: PCnet-FAST III (host interface, eth1)

My virtual XP mach is configured for two cards (so it use the wireless
on my laptop.)

The other question is, are you able to get out to the internet. i.e.

	ping www.google.com

--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux - simple; if you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."