Problem with apt on a virtual machine

Tom Masterson kd7cyu at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 20:06:00 UTC 2009

I have a virtual machine running Jaunty and supposed to be using bridged
networking (not sure how to prove it is or isn't).  If I do apt-get
install <package> (doesn't matter what package).  It goes through to the
point where it asks if I wish to continue with the install and if I answer
yes it comes back almost instantly with "http died unexpectedly".  If I
look at dmesg I see the following:
http[1792]: segfault at 0 ip 00000000 sp bf8c0cdc error 14 in
http[8048000+d000]
no vm86_info: BAD

Can anyone help with this one please and tell me where to look?

Thanks
Tom