question about /home on separate drive

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 12:03:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Fred Roller<froller at tnclimited.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 19:58 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>> This is my current fstab:
>> # /home was on /dev/sda7 during installation
>> UUID=### /home  ext4 realtime 0 2
>>
>> I can just mark out the above and put
>> UUID=###-of-old-partition /home ext3 realtime 0 2

>  Will it work, yes, but you will lose config files from the new build.
> May I offer this solution.
>        mkdir /Data
> change the current fstab home to /Data
> # /home was on /dev/sda7 during installation
> UUID=### /home  ext4 realtime 0 2 -> UUID=### /Data  ext4 realtime 0 2
> make the change for the second drive
> UUID=###-of-old-partition /home ext3 realtime 0 2
>        cp -a /Data/* /home/

That will overwrite his old files when he probably still wants them.
Otherwise why bother with a separate /home?

I'm not aware of any typical Gnome app that gets confused when
presented with a slightly older version of their config files.
Assuming we are talking a reasonably recent version of Ubuntu, I doubt
there will be any issue.  Otherwise upgrading in place wouldn't work.

A different possibility would be to proceed as he intended, using his
old home as the new home.  Then, just create a new user 'test' or
whatever.  Log in, and if there is some setting there he likes he can
copy it over to his own home folder.

Brian
--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false