question about /home on separate drive

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Wed Aug 5 12:33:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 08:03 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
> That will overwrite his old files when he probably still wants them.
> Otherwise why bother with a separate /home?
>
> I'm not aware of any typical Gnome app that gets confused when
> presented with a slightly older version of their config files.
> Assuming we are talking a reasonably recent version of Ubuntu, I doubt
> there will be any issue.  Otherwise upgrading in place wouldn't work.
>
> A different possibility would be to proceed as he intended, using his
> old home as the new home.  Then, just create a new user 'test' or
> whatever.  Log in, and if there is some setting there he likes he can
> copy it over to his own home folder.
>
> Brian

You have a valid point if he has the same user in both /homes.  He would
then need to rename the user directory and create the corresponding
user.  He could also leave the folder in the /Data and move items as
needed.

Point is all the data is available and the 10Gb partition is already
mounting for optional use.  If he just remarks out the mount entry (his
original plan) in fstab for his current /home in favor of his
previous /home (250Gb) then he would have to mount the partition anyways
to get the information.
--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux - simple; if you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."