Help broken cd/dvd burning in Ubuntu 9.04

Scott Ehrlich srehrlich at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 11:56:25 UTC 2009

Since performing updates to 9.04 (32-bit mostly), I have been unable
to burn any CD/DVDs using any programs - k3b, brasero, etc.  The
infamous "insert media" types of messages when it is a brand new disc
in the drive that works on other systems without a problem.   I do
have some Windows and non Ubuntu machines that have no problems with
the burner nor media - just the Ubuntu systems complaining.

Various forums have led to a problem with wodim, with it replacing the
working cdrtools/cdrecord.

I have a handful of "dead' systems that can't burn CD/DVD media, and
some people saying "I told you so" when they strongly don't believe in
applying system patches/updates.

I may have to revert to converting a system to CentOS, which does NOT
experience this problem, but this is not a good workaround - just a
bandaid.

Is there a good, workable solution to get these "dead" machines burning again?

Thanks.

Scott