graphics card configuration.

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Apr 30 13:38:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:28:58 +0200
Wybo Dekker <wybo at servalys.nl> wrote:

> (just moved from SuSE-11.0  to Unbuntu 9.04)
>
> My card is an integrated Intel 865G, my monitor a Medion MD7212AZ
> After sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg I get a minimal xorg.conf:
> So I suppose my hardware is'nt recognized,

Don't worry (just yet) : X.org has recently moved to an auto-detection
method, meaning that in a stock install, there is NO xorg.conf file at
all ! X detects your hardware everytime it starts, and makes reasonable
assumptions about hiw to configure it. If the defaults do'nt suit your
particular case, then you can still create a xorg.conf file in order to
tell X what to do instead.

>  and it is quite slow indeed.

Reading some posts here and there, I gather that the Intel video driver
may have some problems in Ubuntu 9.04. I don't have an Intel videp chip
so I can't help more, but at least I would start investigating driver
issue before anything else.

--
Vince