install Adobe Reader in Fire Fox

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 29 20:05:08 UTC 2009

On 04/27/2009 10:02 AM, Lorraine Young wrote:
> I just upgraded to the next Ubuntu which is 8.10.  I am going to install
> up to the new one 9.  I had Adobe in Office before upgrading but the
> page is black now, although it is called Adobe 9 now.   I downloaded
> Adobe 9 but cannot open it.
>

> This is the message I am getting but the instructions are for Windows.
>

> "Mozilla Firefox will not install Adobe Reader from web sites until you
> add them to the Allowed List. Please follow the steps below."
>
> I am also getting this message---
>
> "Could not display
> "/home/charles/Desktop/AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin".
> There is no application installed for this file type"

If the file is actually located at:
/home/charles/Desktop/AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin
then open a terminal: Applications|Accessories|Terminal
and enter the following (minus the '$' prompt):

cd /home/charles/Desktop/AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin
sudo ./AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin
update-menus

(those are 3 separate commands)
That will perform the install and update the applications menus. You
should now find Adobe Reader in Applications|Office|Adobe Reader

> I went to Add/Remove but cannot find where to add Adobe Reader.

Alternately, if the .bin file is not available, download the .deb file
and install by double-clicking the .deb file from Nautilus (Places|Home):

1. Download page: http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/
- Select an OS: Linux - x86 (.deb)
- Select a lanuguage: English or other as needed
- click 'Continue' & then Download now

2. Find the .deb file: AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i386linux_enu.deb via Nautilis.
Double click on the file and the installer will automatically pop up -
click the 'Install' button.

> Could you please give me  step by step instructions on how to install
> Adobe Reader.  I cannot find the answer to this particular problem and
> am getting lost in the maze.  I am the only one who uses this computer.

The 3rd & easiest solution is to simply now install via Synaptic - see:
http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/
  [Adobe Reader now available through APT]
You don't even need to use the terminal - instead of opening the
software sources application, open the full Synaptic instead:
System|Administration|Synaptic...|Repositories & then follow the
instructions on the blog. After you refresh/reload the repositories,
type 'adobe' in the quick search box and you will find the latest
version of acroread - right-click & select 'Mark for installation', then
click the 'Apply' icon on the toolbar.