install Adobe Reader in Fire Fox

Lorraine Young lyypicton at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 27 17:02:51 UTC 2009

I just upgraded to the next Ubuntu which is 8.10.  I am going to install
up to the new one 9.  I had Adobe in Office before upgrading but the
page is black now, although it is called Adobe 9 now.   I downloaded
Adobe 9 but cannot open it.

This is the message I am getting but the instructions are for Windows.

"Mozilla Firefox will not install Adobe Reader from web sites until you
add them to the Allowed List. Please follow the steps below."

I am also getting this message---

"Could not display
"/home/charles/Desktop/AdbeRdr9.1.0-1_i486linux_enu.bin".
There is no application installed for this file type"

I went to Add/Remove but cannot find where to add Adobe Reader.

Could you please give me  step by step instructions on how to install
Adobe Reader.  I cannot find the answer to this particular problem and
am getting lost in the maze.  I am the only one who uses this computer.

Thanks so much.

Lorraine