Install Problems

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 29 18:19:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:59:31 -0500, Kipton Moravec wrote:

> I was given an old PC with 256K memory and a 400 MHz Pentium II. They
> had Centos Linux installed, but I did not have the password, and did not
> want to learn something besides Ubuntu.
>
> I can not seem to get it to install 8.04 LTS.
>
> I try the normal install and I get an error about BIOS age (1998) fails
> cutoff (2000) acpi=force is required to enable ACPI.
>
> Searching around I find
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
>
> Which I think says I have to type F6, then a space, and then acpi=force.
>
> So I do it and it does not get me to the Welcome Window. (after 4.)
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall
>
> So what do I do now?
> I have checked the CD and ran a memory test for 12 hours with no
> problems.
>
> Kip

One of my PC's is a bit simular, put together out of the parts of 2 old
PC's. I upgraded it yesterday from 8.04 to 9.04 with no problems. I get
the same error about the BIOS age, I just ignore it. Perhaps you should
try the alternate install CD, the standard graphical install might be a
bit to much for this PC.

Aart