Install Problems

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Wed Apr 29 19:57:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:59:31 -0500
Kipton Moravec <kip at kdream.com> wrote:

> I was given an old PC with 256K memory and a 400 MHz Pentium II. They
> had Centos Linux installed, but I did not have the password, and did
> not want to learn something besides Ubuntu.
>
> I can not seem to get it to install 8.04 LTS.
>
> I try the normal install and I get an error about BIOS age (1998)
> fails cutoff (2000) acpi=force is required to enable ACPI.
>
> Searching around I find
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
>
> Which I think says I have to type F6, then a space, and then
> acpi=force.
>
> So I do it and it does not get me to the Welcome Window. (after 4.)
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall
>
> So what do I do now?
> I have checked the CD and ran a memory test for 12 hours with no
> problems.
>
> Kip

You should be using the alternate install cd for this system. If it
still won't install, consider installing Xubuntu[1] on it. This gives
you most of Ubuntu with Xfce instead of Gnome. It needs fewer resources
than Ubuntu. You can even install Xubuntu 9.04 on your system.

[1] http://xubuntu.org/get

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz