Unable to install java 1.5.0

Faizan Kazi faizan.s.kazi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 08:27:35 UTC 2009

ah, you tried to install the docs!
lol... i made the same mistake a long time and was really really confused...
If you read the description of the sun-java6-doc package in Synaptic Package
manager you'd probably be better off right now. but i bet you didnt :P

so i'll give you a summary
heres what you have to do:

go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/ and download the docs as a zip
file.

assuming you downloaded the zip file to your desktop:
sudo mv ~/Desktop/sun-java6(version#)-doc.zip /tmp/

you MAY need to rename the file to "sun-java6-doc.zip: rename
sun-java6(version#)-doc.zip sun-java6-doc.zip [do it for now, and rename the
file as required by the installer. read the error messages)]

now to set root.root ownership: sudo chown root.root /tmp/sun-java6-doc.zip

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-doc

and see if it gives you any errors. if it does, it'll probably be file not
found errors, in which case, rename the file to whatever it asks of you. i
dont know if you'll need to re-set the permissions on the file, probably not
:) but you have the command!

~fez

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 1:39 PM, dheeraj bansal <bansalcooldheeraj at gmail.com