Jaunty beta - lost my nvidia drivers *** SOLVED ***

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 8 17:15:57 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 4/8/09, sdavmor <sdavmor at systemstheory.net> wrote:

> From: sdavmor <sdavmor at systemstheory.net>
> Subject: Re: Jaunty beta - lost my nvidia drivers  *** SOLVED ***
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2009, 11:51 AM
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> > --- On Wed, 4/8/09, sdavmor
> <sdavmor at systemstheory.net> wrote:
> >> It was embarrassingly simple and glaringly obvious
> once it dawned
> >>  on me [light bulb time] what the real problem
> was. I was still
> >> booting the 2.6.27-11-generic kernel instead of
> >> 2.6.28-11-generic. As soon as I added the .28.
> kernel to grub
> >> letting it be the default choice everything fell
> into place with
> >> my video. The nvidia 180 revision driver now shows
> as activated
> >> and the system boots properly. The nvidia X Server
> settings
> >> program presents me with all the options I
> expected to see, and I
> >>  can set the display to 1920x1200.
> >
> > Strange, whenever I install a new kernel using
> whatever front end
> > to apt that I use, update-grub is automatically run
> adding the new
> > kernel and I only have to reboot to load it, which you
> did also.
> > Are you doing strange and mysterious things the rest
> of us are
> > unaware of?  Of course, if I get an update-grub error
> that it
> > failed, then I would run it manually and never have
> had to
> > personally edit menu.lst to add a kernel. Please
> explain if you
> > will as I'm probably misunderstanding something
> you said or did.
> > Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
>
> When I did the dist-upgrade ISTR it offered me the choice
> of
> installing the package-manger's version of menu.lst,
> merging, or
> keeping my menu.lst. No doubt I told it to keep mine, for
> whatever
> reason crossed my mind at the time. Jaunty ran fine for a
> few days on
> the 2.6.27-11-generic kernel (except for the CD/DVD burner
> apps, which
> have been flaky ever since), until it abruptly crated
> "X". I shall pay
> more attention next time I upgrade in place. I shall be
> trying out the
> RT kernel for the ubuntu-studio Jaunty beta soon, so I
> shall watch it
> like a hawk, and make a written note of anything where
> I'm given a
> choice...just in case.

Ok, that explains it.  My bad as I assumed you just did an update, safe-upgrade and not a dist-upgrade.  Thanks for the come back. Now days, I just burn a new version and install on an empty partitions having a 500GB HDD and plenty of room.  Haven't done a dist-upgrade for some time now. Never did like all those questions doing a dist-upgrade; reminds me of the old Debian version upgrades on which I made many wrong choices-:))
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net