changing grub

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 4 19:19:31 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 4/4/09, Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net> wrote:

> From: Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net>
> Subject: Re: changing grub
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Saturday, April 4, 2009, 1:39 PM
> Thorny wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > [Ray Parrish]

> here. When starting a GUI
> gedit you need to use the
> sudo command, which is
> given command to edit

> end of the command line, which will
> session, so that shutting
> down your gedit session,
> of the line. If however, you
> be printed to the
> leave the Terminal window open

> is that in my experience,
> usually will not start the
> for your password in

> > [Leonard Chatagnier]
> >
> >> Very strange, to me anyway, that you said and
> experienced what you did
> >> above.  Although, I've read on the list about
> using gksu ipo sudo for
> >> gui applications, I've never had an issue
> using sudo nano to edit any
> >> type of file using Kubuntu desktop anyway. I
> rarely use gnome as I like
> >> the kubuntu eye candy better but of course in an
> Ubuntu install. I don't
> >> understand the need for the &, why would
> anyone stop a terminal session
> >> while editing from it? Even if stopped by error,
> it's simle to restart
> >> it and continue. Gnome, or the Ubuntu Desktop, may
> react differently
> >> than the Kubuntu Desktop, I really don't know.
> Nano is the default
> >> editor for Kubuntu and works well for me in an
> Ubuntu install. I am
> >> using Kensole or a tty terminal in reference to
> what I've said.  Just
> >> another persons viewpoint. Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
> >>

> > I think the difference "strangeness"
> probably stems from the different
> > "environment" one can be in when they start
> a terminal with gksu than when
> > one starts a program as sudo. I agree with you
> Leonard, that sudo nano,
> > along with the proper path to the file you want to
> edit will work as
> > expected. Some things appear to not work as expected,
> generally because
> > our expectations are faulty, the $PATH environment
> variable differences
> > between regular user and root user is one that often
> is a source of
> > confusion.
> >
> Hello,
>
> I'm *not* starting Terminal with gksu, I'm starting
> gedit *from*
> Terminal with gksu. Again, nano is not a GUI application.
>
> Later, Ray Parrish

I didn't imply or suggest you were starting a terminal program with gksu.
And again, I'm only pointing out that nano works with sudo on menu.lst or any other file type that I've tried using sudo nano <path to file> even though I've read about the gksu warning on gui files many times.
YMMV,
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net