Edubuntu 8.04 query

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Fri Apr 3 05:26:35 UTC 2009

Bret Busby wrote:
> We just have to give up on Edubuntu, as unworkable.
>
> It is one thing to demonstrate a LiveCD or LiveDVD, for which we can
> provide a confident assurance "This will not make any changes to your
> computer", but, to have to say "We will install this operating system,
> with which you are completely unfamiliar, and we will have to rearrange
> your hard drive and make changes to computer, to show you this operating
> system and its applications that you might find useful", is pushing luck
> too far.
>
> We will investigate SkoleLinux, if it is available in English, as
> Edubuntu is clearly something that cannot be easily demonstrated on
> another person's computer.
>
> If Edubuntu was available as a LiveDVD image, if it is too big to put on
> a LiveCD, it would probably have been workable.

It's silly to demonstrate something on someone else's computer. Why
can't you take your own computer already pre-loaded with Linux? Do you
really want to show up not having a clue about what sort of hardware the
person whom you're trying to convince has, only to find out that it has
some weird NIC or video card that isn't well (or at all) supported by
whatever Linux distro you're promoting? That I have to point this out
and that you apparently would abandon Edubuntu so readily because it
doesn't offer a Live CD or a Live DVD image (hint: you could create one,
if you were so inclined) suggests to me that you're out of your depth so
you should team up with someone in your area who can complement your
skills if you're serious about trying to convince a school district or
state to use Linux.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay