Memtest choice on dual boot

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 08:25:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 07:53:33 -0700, Thorny posted:

> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:01:52 -0500, Allen Meyers posted:
>
>> I recently cleaned up if that's a good description my hard drives sda1
>> is my internal HD that houses mephis by itself and the MBR if that is
>> relevant. This cleanup involved re-partition of my external that houses
>> Debian and ubuntu no swap if that is relevant. Swap is on sda1 So now
>> at boot choices I see all 3 OS choices as well as the memtest for sda1.
>> I am just curious as all get out as to what prompted this inclusion.
>> Thanks again
>>

> I'd guess that your GRUB configuration file, menu.lst has, in the
> AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST, the option, # alternative=true and that one of
> the distros you installed, installed memtest86 for you. It can be a
> useful program for testing your memory.
>
> By the way, your MBR is on sda although the rest of the stages of your
> GRUB may be on device sda1 in the boot folder.

Allen,

I hope you had a chance to read through the options in your menu.lst, you
may have found one that related even more to memtest86 than the one I
mentioned. In addition, you probably found your boot folder in the root
of one of the operating systems that you have installed in your multi-boot
system, not on the partition sda1, which you said was swap. At least,
that's the way it would be if you don't have a separate partition for
/boot. However, you may not have a chance to read through the stuff yet.