Memtest choice on dual boot

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 14:53:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:01:52 -0500, Allen Meyers posted:

> I recently cleaned up if that's a good description my hard drives sda1 is
> my internal HD that houses mephis by itself and the MBR if that is
> relevant. This cleanup involved re-partition of my external that houses
> Debian and ubuntu no swap if that is relevant. Swap is on sda1 So now at
> boot choices I see all 3 OS choices as well as the memtest for sda1.
> I am just curious as all get out as to what prompted this inclusion.
> Thanks again

I'd guess that your GRUB configuration file, menu.lst has, in the
AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST, the option, # alternative=true and that one of the
distros you installed, installed memtest86 for you. It can be a useful
program for testing your memory.

By the way, your MBR is on sda although the rest of the stages of your
GRUB may be on device sda1 in the boot folder.