Memtest choice on dual boot

Allen Meyers texas.chef94 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 10:38:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Thorny <thorntreehome at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 07:53:33 -0700, Thorny posted:
>
> > On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:01:52 -0500, Allen Meyers posted:
> >
> >> I recently cleaned up if that's a good description my hard drives sda1
> >> is my internal HD that houses mephis by itself and the MBR if that is
> >> relevant. This cleanup involved re-partition of my external that houses
> >> Debian and ubuntu no swap if that is relevant. Swap is on sda1 So now
> >> at boot choices I see all 3 OS choices as well as the memtest for sda1.
> >> I am just curious as all get out as to what prompted this inclusion.
> >> Thanks again
> >>

> > I'd guess that your GRUB configuration file, menu.lst has, in the
> > AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST, the option, # alternative=true and that one of
> > the distros you installed, installed memtest86 for you. It can be a
> > useful program for testing your memory.
> >
> > By the way, your MBR is on sda although the rest of the stages of your
> > GRUB may be on device sda1 in the boot folder.
>
> Allen,
>
> I hope you had a chance to read through the options in your menu.lst, you
> may have found one that related even more to memtest86 than the one I
> mentioned. In addition, you probably found your boot folder in the root
> of one of the operating systems that you have installed in your multi-boot
> system, not on the partition sda1, which you said was swap. At least,
> that's the way it would be if you don't have a separate partition for
> /boot. However, you may not have a chance to read through the stuff yet

> .
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

 Thorny and the rest of this most helpful group. May I digress for a bit and
comment on the mentoring aspect of your mindsets or perspectives. I am
asking questions that I was too embarrassed to ask before and maybe thats
dumb.
Best way describe it is you all made me comfortable enough to ask and
broaden my learning curve so thanks.
The downside is you may have opened an information flood gate

Allen

Allen Meyers
texas.chef94 at gmail.com