Name conflict (tripwire: /usr/sbin/siggen, siggen: /usr/bin/siggen)

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Apr 1 16:54:23 UTC 2009

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> Ben Okopnik wrote:
>
> This is /not/ the Ubuntu bug-tracking system.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ is.
>
>> Just as described in the subject, there are two conflicting app names in
>> these two packages - so entering "siggen" has arbitrary results
>> depending on what's installed.
>
> No, it certainly does not.  Path resolution is anything but arbitrary.
>  Your shell will always run the first siggen in your path regardless f
> how many you have installed.  Now, it might be convenient if they had
> different names, but this is not a real bug, in my opinion.

Sounds like a packaging bug to me, unless one of his two packages didn't
come from Ubuntu.  When packaging an app for Ubuntu, the maintainer really
should make sure that no other Ubuntu package puts an identically named
executable in any of the standard path directories, and either conflict
with that package, or change the name of the executable.
--
derek