wicd doesn't work

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 1 00:41:09 UTC 2009

On 03/31/2009 02:59 PM, Res wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
>> Karl, you don't have to reinstall NM after wicd.  Ever since I installed wicd, no more network connection issues at all even on wifi, so why reinstall NM.  Even so I doubt there is an issues in doing so.
>

> Last time I looked wicd did not support VPN's (although I heard last year
> they were working that), but that's fine for people who know what they are
> doing and can set it up manally, but for those who dont.....

Still nothing built in that I'm aware of:

http://wicd.net/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=111

I've not tried the vpn support in Network Manager (I let the router do
it), but I do know that there seem to have been considerable add-on's
for vpn in the 8.10 Network Manager.

> Replacing NM with wicd should be a choice based on requirements, not a
> blind "must do".

Agreed. I switched to wicd on the laptop because I was having issues
with NM and static IP assignments w/Intrepid & got tired of chasing the
bug reports. wicd allows me to plug in the wire and have 192.168.xxx.xxx
and the next moment use wireless with the same IP address. Works great.
However, on most of the other machines without wireless I just leave NM
in place... as long as it's working.

Regarding reinstalling NM: I've had no issues reinstalling NM after wicd
on either Hardy or Intrepid.