Please help me mount my data HD

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Sun Sep 28 13:52:10 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:

>     Mark if you had read his request, it would help. He wants to store
> stuff on the big HD. I suggested he might want to do it so he can later
> put a systems on the big HD. To that end you need more partitions. You
> do not need to use them now.

I DID read his request.  He wants to store DATA on his larger hard
drive.  Therefore he needs a data mount point.  That's sane and makes
perfect sense.  Having him partition off one section of it and leaving
the rest of the drive unused is NOT.

See you just contradicted yourself, he doesn't WANT to put a 'systems'
on his hard drive.  He HAS a drive with a 'systems' on it.  You are
assuming something that HE did not mention.  So, unless you are psychic,
don't assume.

>     As your not able to understand it IS possible to make or re-make
> partitions. In fact you do not even like to talk about partitions. I
> think that is the problem. In any case if he wants later to do something
> the things I suggest make sense. And he will get his storage area he wanted.

Let me tell you something, I've created, modified, resized and destroyed
more partitions this year than you'll ever do.  I deal in PETABYTES in
my job.  I've dealt with nearly every filesystem there is.  I have
probably forgotten more about partitions than you will ever know.

Again, you are making me the bad guy and you the victim.  I'm telling
you now, if you can't give complete advice, don't give it at all.  If
you can't stick with what you know (from the OP) and stop giving him
advice he doesn't need, don't give it at all.

You are like a child, Karl. One who doesn't like /ever/ being wrong, and
when you are you react like one of daughters when they were four and
didn't know any better.  You need to get a thicker skin and think before
you post.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support