Areca or 3ware RAID controllers

Michael S. Peek peek at tiem.utk.edu
Tue Sep 23 17:10:00 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying some large (32-drive) raid boxes from a company
that gives me the option of choosing 3ware or Areca RAID controllers,
and I'm trying to decide which to choose.

I have experience with 3ware, but not Areca.  3ware is supported by
standard kernels out of the box, but I had to download the managing
software from 3ware's site.  3ware also has a BIOS interface you can
enter on boot-up to create/manage your arrays (which I thought useful if
all else fails).  I've only had one problem with a 3ware card that was
replaced under warranty, the rest are ticking away solidly, even after
multiple AC outages that led to overheating problems in the past.

Does anyone have any experience w/ using Areca RAID controllers under
Ubuntu?  Can you give me any pointers?

Michael Peek