Areca or 3ware RAID controllers

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Sep 23 17:22:21 UTC 2008

Michael S. Peek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at buying some large (32-drive) raid boxes from a company
> that gives me the option of choosing 3ware or Areca RAID controllers,
> and I'm trying to decide which to choose.
>
> I have experience with 3ware, but not Areca.  3ware is supported by
> standard kernels out of the box, but I had to download the managing
> software from 3ware's site.  3ware also has a BIOS interface you can
> enter on boot-up to create/manage your arrays (which I thought useful if
> all else fails).  I've only had one problem with a 3ware card that was
> replaced under warranty, the rest are ticking away solidly, even after
> multiple AC outages that led to overheating problems in the past.
>
> Does anyone have any experience w/ using Areca RAID controllers under
> Ubuntu?  Can you give me any pointers?
>
> Michael Peek

I don't, but I think you answered your own question.  3Ware make good
products. So why switch?  If it's not broke, don't fix it.  I have 3
3Ware RAID boxes at home and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support