ubuntu and music

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sat Sep 20 08:17:26 UTC 2008

(``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> Olá Derek e a todos.
>
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 16:26:07 Derek Broughton wrote:
>> (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
>>
>>> Olá Neil e a todos.

>>> This is FUD. Really stop it, if you dont know what you are talking about.
>> _This_ is insulting.  Neil's absolutely right.
>>
>>> Scott Ritchie has been making a WONDERFUL job by packing any version (or
>>> patch) of wine to most of Ubuntu versions, as soon as they came out, and
>>> making them FULLY compatible with Ubuntu system policies. Wine repo cant
>>> do that. So please just use the Ubuntu version, that you are going to get
>>> very well served.
>>>

>>> FYI the latest version available is 1.0.0-1ubuntu10.
>> Not to make light of Scott's work, but that's not even CLOSE to being
>> up-to-date.  The current version of Wine is 1.1.4.  This is what Neil was
>> talking about.  In fact, if you follow the instructions on WineHQ, you GET
>> Scott Ritchie's build of Wine 1.1.4 packaged for Hardy, so apparently it's
>> you who don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>> Now note, Wine does not consider this a stable build - it is, as Neil
>> suggested, only for those who want to be on the cutting edge.
>> --
>> derek
>
> PPL were complaining about FF3 beta in Hardy, and now you want WINE too? lol
>
> Ok just kidding, I'm CCing Scott, and let him reply himself on this. That way we get the best info, ok?
>
> Scott here is the thread link https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-September/159700.html

Thanks for pointing this thread to my attention.

The packages at winehq.org and the packages in Ubuntu officially are
both done by the same person, me.  I am very much aware of how much Wine
advances every two weeks, and that many applications will plain not work
without a newer Wine.

It is intentional that the default Wine a user gets when they install
Ubuntu is 1.0, the out of date but stable version.  Wine is prone to
very frequent regressions, and preventing those regressions is our most
important task as distribution maintainers.

A user should never have an automatic update cause a working application
to break.  That means backporting Wine alphas to Hardy is right out.
The same principle applies to upgrading from Hardy to Intrepid: under no
circumstances should things ever get worse, even if that means for a lot
of users they're not getting better.

If you want to beta test Wine, you can use the packages I make at
winehq.org, hosted at the budgetdedicated repository.  I'll be making
Intrepid versions of 1.1.5 available soon.  They're from the exact same
person who puts the Wine packages into Ubuntu - me.

I'd like a more recent Wine, but it really has to come as the result of
a long stabilization process by Wine developers before it's good enough
to automatically replace existing installs.  I'm going to wineconf next
weekend, where I'll be pleading for another stable release to be made
before Jaunty.  If I had my way, Wine would release every six months at
the same time Gnome does so all the distros could happily include it.

That said, the stable 1.0 branch will be getting a small update in
October, 1.0.1, and that version can easily be included in Intrepid and
backported to Hardy.

One more thing - sorry about a bit of lateness on todays release, I came
down with a pretty bad cold at my girlfriend's house.  My computer
wasn't accessible remotely since I just switched the router, so I had to
wait until I was feeling better to make the long drive back and do the
upload now :)

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie