Catch-22 with Audacity and Jack

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Sep 15 11:45:09 UTC 2008

Mumia W. wrote:
> On 09/15/2008 12:14 AM, Lou Katz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 09:17:34PM -0500, Jason Crain wrote:
>>
>>> Jack is separated into several packages.  The main sound server is
>>> called jackd, which depends on shared libraries in package libjack0.
>>> Lots of packages depend on libjack0, including audacity.  It should be
>>> harmless to upgrade libjack0 and does not require you to install the
>>> full jack sound server.
>>>
>> No Joy!
>>
>> The version of libjack0 which is installed is the most recent one. Audacity runs just fine when Synaptic
>> shows jackd (0.103.0-6ubuntu1) as not installed, but the little orange icon want's me to 'upgrade'
>> jackd to 0.103.0-6ubuntu1, even though it is not installed. If I do the upgrade, the jackd gets
>> installed, the icon goes away and I no longer can get sound out, with the uniformative
>> 	 "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate."
>> message. Deinstalling jackd allows sound to come out.
>>
>> psax in the two situations shows no differences. Bah!
>>
>> I could fix the Update manager the way my brother dealt with the oil light in his car coming on - he
>> disconnected the oil light.
>>

> You must be running Intrepid because jackd 0.103.0-6ubuntu1 is not an
> option for Hardy. I recommend using Aptitude's interactive interface to
> find out what package on your system requires jackd. Or you can use this
> non-interactive command:
>
> aptitude why jackd
>
> I think that should show you what packages might require jackd to be
> installed.
>
> BTW, does your brother's car still run? ;-)

    It works. I got this:

karl at karl-hardy:~$ aptitude why jackd
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad Depends  libjack0 (>= 0.109.2)
i A libjack0                  Suggests jackd (= 0.109.2-1ubuntu1)
karl at karl-hardy:~$

It is there and working. My sound has stopped almost completely.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User