Looking for RAID Drivers

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 13:15:07 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 4:08 AM, John Hubbard <ender8282 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mike Bowen wrote:
>> I want to install Ubuntu, but I have a DFI motherboard with an Intel
>> Matrix Storage Technology chip running a 4 disk RAID 5 array. This is
>> part of the ICH9 Southbridge chipset. My questions are:
>>
>> 1.       Will Ubuntu install program recognize this array?
>>
>> 2.       If not, do I need a special driver (Intel website lists NO
>> Linux drivers at all for this chip)?
>>
>> 3.       Where can I find such a driver??
>>
> I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but The simple answer is
> probably not.  Linux implements its own software raid.  True hardware
> raid is pretty expensive and not very common.  Unless you spent a good
> chunk of cash on your board, I would guess it is actually software raid.
>
> If you start up the *buntu installer (use the alternate installer) you
> will get to the section about where to install.  Chose manual
> partitioning of the drives. If you see 4 separate hard drives listed
> then you don't have true hardware raid.  !!!BE CAREFUL DOING THIS IF YOU
> HAVE DATA ON THE DISKS!!!  Don't create or format anything or you will
> loose data.
>
> Unless you are trying to do a dual boot with Windows and Linux, use the
> Linux software raid.  It is simple and easy to set up.  The alternate
> installer will walk you through it.
>
> If you are trying to do a dual boot then you will need a better
> solution.  I don't know what to do but hopefully someone else can help
> you.
>
> --
> -john
> There are only 10 kinds of people,
> Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi

The raid system will be detected with DM-raid. Ubuntu does not use
this by default. Suse does, so it can even install on a "fake" raid
system. I did it once to my Asus P4P800 with 2 disks in Raid 0. This
was very succesfull.

You can use ubuntu for this, but you should not expect it to be able
to install directly onto the raid system. Once installed on another
harddisk you can prolly run "apt-get instal dmraid" then "modprobe
dmraid" and some partitioner to be able to see the partitions on the
disks.

Neil

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count