problem with USB paralell interface

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 16:48:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Brian Astill <bastill at adam.com.au> wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2008 03:25:42 Alfredo Lopez wrote:
>> I have a Panasonic KXP-11424, Manhattan Paralell serial
>> Interface and one Sony Vaio notebook with Ubuntu 8.4 and do not
>> print all the time, please Help
>
> There are two ways of using a serial USB port.  One uses udev to
> create /dev/ttyUSB0 (or /dev/ttyUSB1) and the other uses libusb
> and usb:  (that colon is needed).
> Problem is, the two systems conflict.
> When you connect your device look in /dev and see if ttyUSB0 has
> been created.  Then "locate libusb" or use synaptic to see if
> libusb is installed.  If both things are true, you will need to
> suppress one of them.

I'm guessing it's really old fashioned serial - not USB.   The
Panasonic KXP printers I remember had one or both, but they predate
USB.   A quick google of that model number got me nowhere. Manhattan
Parallel was a name brand of A/B switches used for that and other
things.  All pure speculation of course waiting for the OP to
comment....

Brian