Foolproof fix for screen resolution?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Sep 12 14:53:11 UTC 2008

Burgoo King wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> # grep Mode: /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -v 0x0
>

> Hmmm, no luck with this, but thank you anyway.

What do you mean by "no luck".  It has to do _something_, so what did you
get back?

> You are correct that my desired screen resolution of 1280x768 actually
> has proportions of 1 to 1.67, and not 1 to 1.6 as with my current
> 1680x1050.  But the two resolutions are close enough that I can't see
> much difference in the way images look.

You missed the point - if X doesn't see a modeline for 1280x768, you can't
have it, end of story (now, it's possible with gtf to construct modelines,
and if your monitor handles them, you might be able to manually supply them
to X, but let's start by finding out what it _does_ have).

For instance, here's mine:
$ grep Mode: /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -v 0x0 | sort -u
(II) I810(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
Mode: 30 (640x480)
Mode: 32 (800x600)
Mode: 34 (1024x768)
Mode: 38 (1280x1024)
Mode: 3a (1600x1200)
Mode: 3c (1280x800)
Mode: 41 (640x480)
Mode: 43 (800x600)
Mode: 45 (1024x768)
Mode: 49 (1280x1024)
Mode: 4b (1600x1200)
Mode: 4d (1280x800)
Mode: 50 (640x480)
Mode: 52 (800x600)
Mode: 54 (1024x768)
*Mode: 58 (1280x1024)
Mode: 5a (1600x1200)
*Mode: 5c (1280x800)

Those two modes with * are manually supplied - one for my standard ratio
external monitor, and one for my wide-screen laptop.  I could do 1280x768
too, but not with the current X configuration.
--
derek