Foolproof fix for screen resolution?

Burgoo King burgoo.king at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 01:50:28 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:

> # grep Mode: /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -v 0x0

Hmmm, no luck with this, but thank you anyway.

It's easy enough to boost the size of text in most places where I really
need it, so it is not so important now to get a specific screen
resolution for the sake of text size.  More important is to retain a
screen proportion that does not distort photo images on web pages.

You are correct that my desired screen resolution of 1280x768 actually
has proportions of 1 to 1.67, and not 1 to 1.6 as with my current
1680x1050.  But the two resolutions are close enough that I can't see
much difference in the way images look.  Especially there is no gross
stretching.  Another screen resolution that I tried has a ratio of 1 to
1.8, and that also looks good enough to me.