8.04 still locks up

elmo elmo at ne.rr.com
Fri Sep 5 01:04:08 UTC 2008

I thought that I finally had a UBUNTU 8.04 that doesn't freeze and
lockup but no, after downloads from different sources, the same old
problem ...it works fine for a up to half hour or so then suddenly, the
cursor locks and there's nothing I do can free it other than turn the
computer off and back on and start over.

I've tried trial and error combinations of keypresses to loosen up the
cursor....no effect.

I restart 8.04 and try repeating what I was doing when the freeze
occurred but it doesn't freeze again but it freezes when I'm doing
something completely different.  There's no consistency to the
occurrence of the freeze.

I've tried installing 8.04 on different partitions but ........same problem.

I have 7.10 installed both on a regular hard drive partition and also on
an external hard drive and it works perfectly.

The only conclusion I can make is there's some defect in 8.04.

Does anybody have 8.04 that doesn't freeze?  What's the secret?

elmo