8.04 still locks up

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 6 03:27:20 UTC 2008

On 09/05/2008 09:11 AM, elmo wrote:

> All I have is just a computer, no wireless or network.

And what 'computer' is that? Can you (from a terminal):

sudo lshw > lshwelmo.txt

and then

gedit lshwelmo.txt

and then copy & post the output of that file?

Also look in /var/crash and see if there are any files there?

And from a terminal:

gedit ~/.xsession-errors

and see if there are any obvious errors there?

Other possible information that may be helpful:

fdisk -l
free

My _guess_ would be perhaps a video card, swap, or drive issue. But
without more details of the machine it's pretty hard to guess.

You might also have a look through:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Troubleshooting
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=4fe646dc105d020e0acb5fff0a669d26&t=765510>
[Hardy freezes - long thread, but you might find something of use there]