8.04 still locks up

Mumia W. paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 5 20:12:11 UTC 2008

On 09/05/2008 01:16 PM, Ryan Pugatch wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:11:22 -0500
> "Silent Ph03nix" <silentph03nix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> With all that being said, it usually happens to me when the box it
>> just sitting there with the screensaver active.  The screensaver
>> freezes, I lose my mouse, I can't CTRL-ALT-F1, I can't
>> CTRL-ALT-Backspace.
>
> It's funny you mention that.  I had a Dell Latitude D420 running Ubuntu
> that did that.  Sometimes when the screensaver kicked in, it would
> eventually lock the machine up.  Disabling the screensaver made this
> not occur.  That being said, I always noticed that after a little bit
> of running certain screensavers, the fans in that laptop would be going
> full blast.  So I guess I could suspect it was overheating.  A black
> screensaver doesn't seem to be bad at all.  It just seemed to be when
> it had to render OpenGL graphics.  Just thought I'd throw that in.

I've had the same problem with my desktop computer. Many of the OpenGL
screensavers will lock the machine; the problem doesn't occur when
direct rendering is disabled, so I disabled it. On one of my Debian
installations, I've also removed execute permissions from some of the
OpenGL screesavers in /usr/lib/xscreesaver/.