8.04 still locks up

Ryan Pugatch rpug at gmx.com
Fri Sep 5 18:16:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:11:22 -0500
"Silent Ph03nix" <silentph03nix at gmail.com> wrote:

> With all that being said, it usually happens to me when the box it
> just sitting there with the screensaver active.  The screensaver
> freezes, I lose my mouse, I can't CTRL-ALT-F1, I can't
> CTRL-ALT-Backspace.

It's funny you mention that.  I had a Dell Latitude D420 running Ubuntu
that did that.  Sometimes when the screensaver kicked in, it would
eventually lock the machine up.  Disabling the screensaver made this
not occur.  That being said, I always noticed that after a little bit
of running certain screensavers, the fans in that laptop would be going
full blast.  So I guess I could suspect it was overheating.  A black
screensaver doesn't seem to be bad at all.  It just seemed to be when
it had to render OpenGL graphics.  Just thought I'd throw that in.

 --
Ryan Pugatch
rpug AT gmx.com

BOFH excuse #429: