8.04 still locks up

Ryan Pugatch rpug at gmx.com
Fri Sep 5 01:34:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 21:22:20 -0400
steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> sounds like classic hardware problems to me ...... I had exactly the
> same symptoms on overheating machines, leaky capacitors, bad memory,
> failing power supply..... all things to check.

While it does sound like a hardware problem, I find it odd that 7.10
works fine.  I suggest trying to restart X by hitting
ctrl+alt+backspace.  I'd also try switching to another tty by hitting
ctrl+alt+F1.  X is on tty7 (ctrl+alt+f7).  This should help to see if
it's just X locking up, or if it's the whole OS.   It's possible
that /var/log/messages may have something useful, too.

 --
Ryan Pugatch
rpug AT gmx.com

BOFH excuse #380:
Operators killed when huge stack of backup tapes fell over.