make apt-get stop bothering me about signatures

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:37:42 UTC 2008

2008/9/3 Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org>

> Paul Johnson wrote:
> re is a weakness in apt-get compared
> > against yum in Fedora.  You seem to say it is necessary for me to
> > accept all unsigned packages, rather than simply accepting unsigned
> > packages from one particular trusted site.
>

> I'm not sure I understand this statement. You can set the same behaviour
> in yum, so I don't think it's inherently safer than apt.  I thought
> there was a way to edit the sources in Ubuntu to allow unsigned packages
> from a particular repo similar to what yum does?
>
> Regardless, if you want unsigned packages, download them, MD5SUM them,
> then install with dpkg.  That is a safer option in my mind than making
> apt insecure.
>

>  Excuse me for asking a stupid question, but how can it be dangerous? Will
a knife come out of my screen and cut my throat off?
But seriously, what's the worst thing that could happen?
That everything is erased from my drives (I have a backup that on an USB
drive that is always turned off, except when I am running my backup script)?
Or that someone can read my files (like I cared… that person doesn't need
much entertainment…)?
Or maybe that my computer could send viruses to WIndows machines (again,
like I cared…)?
Or someone would get information about my father and go killing him (he died
eight years ago anyway)?
What is the threat, really? I guess I really missed something. Would be
interesting to know what.