a second hard drive

Doug Pollard dougpol1 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 3 12:12:54 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/02/2008 02:59 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> Brian McKee wrote:

>>> Yes, for sure.  Don't go down the LVM path unless you really need it -
>>> and with 250 gig free I doubt you do.  I was thinking we were
>>> stitching together a couple old 40 gig drives here or something.  For
>>> one thing, it doubles the chance of data loss.
>>>
>>> Brian
>>>

>> Ok I am not much concerned about data loss as I have 2 external drives
>> one 150gb and one 250g  the smaller one has about 100g of video clips to
>> be used in the video I intend to start to work on in a week or two.  I
>> have a few things to get straight on my programs first   I have about 45
>> minutes of video that I put together on Premeire and about another hour
>> to put together and edit in cinelerra.  The total thing to be two hours.
>> Total it is about a years work to edit but my son and daughter will do
>> some of the work on their boxes and forward to me. I will do it and
>> licence under Creative commons. So if anyone wants to work on a video I
>> will be glad to have them. Eespecially a good manager.
>>
>>    Doug
>>

> Point being is that setting up the 2nd hard drive with LVM isn't
> necessary in this case. Just set it up to automount and you can use it
> as a data storeage drive just as you would a 2nd drive in Windows or any
> other system.
>
> Re video: As much as I'd _love_ to work on a project like that; I can
> work measurment & water with the best of them (I've experience w/several
> world & international sailing championships), but I haven't a clue as to
> how to use video editing tools properly. I'm a measurement/markset/pin
> boat sort of guy... :-)
>   Besides, my largest hard drives are 40GB & although I have multiple
> systems, my internet connection is standard DSL so you'd have to find
> the FedEx guy that Leonard used to send me the 64bit system (that I'm
> still waiting on :-) to ship a few 100+GB drives my way :-)
>
> Question: are your son & daughter also using Ubuntu & the same video
> editing tools as you?
>
> Good luck with with your project & let us know how it goes.

My Son is using Xp with Premiere for video  and my daughter is using
Ubuntu. I installed it for her a little over a week ago.   She already
understands it better than I do.  Dog gone smart kids, I hate em.   My
daughter is right now doing work in gimp and starting to use Ink scape
to to credits  pages title pages etc.  My son is putting short clips
together in Movee and fixing stills in gimp.
    I have about 12 hrs of video clips and another 2 hours in still
pictures to use.  All starting in Virginia in Florida. Florida keys  The
lower and upper Bahamas. There are many pictures on the construction of
the boat.  I pan to put it all on line under creative commons to be used
by anyone and then all the pictures left over as well as video.  I hope
it will be good material for people to use in video's and slide show.
    None of it is commercial quality but good enough to be used online.
The boat building is a video in itself.
    I hope this will bring some attention to video editing on Linux and
creative commons as well.

        Doug